Scribd.com is an online document sharing site that has been active since March 2007. Its headquarters are in San Francisco (United States). Scribd was founded in 2006 by Trip Adler.
The iPaper format was ported to the Drupal, WordPress and Ruby On Rails platforms. There are also extensions for Joomla.
- Portable Document Format (.pdf)
- PostScript (.ps)
- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt, .pps, .pptx)
- Microsoft Excel (.xls, xlsx)
- LibreOffice Text Document (.odt, .sxw)
- LibreOffice Presentation Document (.odp, .sxi)
- LibreOffice Spreadsheet (.ods, .sxc)
- All OpenDocument formats
- Plain text (.txt)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
Products and features
Since the launch of iPaper, Scribd’s document sharing technology has evolved. Here are some items that have been added to the user experience:
- An e-commerce section has been developed (the Scribd Store) in order to allow book sellers to increase their distribution networks.
- Revenue-sharing with Adsense was removed, due to the lack of added value that the product provided.
- Users can now “brand” their documents through the free program called “branded reader”.
- Users can now upload documents directly from their Google Docs accounts to their Scribd accounts.
- The interface is now in HTML5 on compatible browsers, allowing the display of documents without using the Adobe Flash plugin.
- Since 2013 Scribd has launched a subscription offer to digital books mainly in English